From New Orleans Architecture Vol III: The Cemeteries by Leonard V. Huber. Girod Street Cemetery was formed as a result of the desire to extend Tremé Street through part of St. Louis Cemetery #1. The part of the cemetery that was in the desired right of way was the Protestant section. In 1822 the city offered Christ Episcopal Church a track of land for what became Girod St. Cemetery. By 1838 most of the Protestant graves had been relocated to Girod Street Cemetery.
Christ Episcopal Church Cathedral's Girod Street Cemetery in New Orleans was bounded by Perilliat St. on the north, Cypress St. on the south, the jail on the east, and Liberty St. on the west. On the west side, Girod Street ended at Liberty Street. Girod Street Cemetery was located at the foot of Girod Street and not along a side of the cemetery. This map of New Orleans, from "Cities of the Dead", shows the exact location.
In its later years, Christ Episcopal Church Cathedral had been lost to fire for many decades, the cemetery was neglected, seriously deteriorated and an eyesore in New Orleans. These pictures, from the New Orleans Public Library's Alexander Allison Collection, show the condition of the cemetery in its last days. 1949 Cemetery View, 1953 Entrance View, and Christ Episcopal Church Cathedral about 1905-1910.
Constructing railway approaches to Union Terminal Station caused the deconsecration and removal of Girod Street Cemetery. By 1957, all remains in the cemetery were removed to make room for new construction. Many family members were contacted by the city to allow individual relocation. The unclaimed whites were reintered in a crawl space under the floor of the Hope Mausoleum. And the blacks were removed to Providence Memorial Park in Jefferson Parish.
Eventually, the southeast corner of the sprawling Louisiana Superdome facility covered what had been Girod Street Cemetery, but the cemetery had been removed many years before the Superdome project began.
Hope Mausoleum and Alfortish Enterprises each bid to relocate those buried in Girod Street Cemetery. Hope Mausoleum significantly underbid Alfortish Enterprises and won the job. Eventually many family members of those relocated from the Girod Street Cemetery purchased crypts in Hope Mausoleum.
Many of the remains are in containers stored in a 3 foot high crawl space under the floor of the mausoleum. There are memorials in Hope Mausoleum in honor of those relocated from the Girod Street Cemetery.
"Best of New Orleans" has this brief history of Girod Street Cemetery.
Historical individuals of Girod Street Cemetery include:
Charles Magill Conrad (1804 - 1878)
The attached newpaper article of 1917 says his interment in Girod Street Cemetery is temporary.
William Wallace Smith Bliss
George Augustus Waggaman (1782 - 1843)
Henry Adams Bullard (1788 - 1851)
Stephen Hendrickson Everitt (c.1806 - 1844)
Early Texas Navy - 1955
All photos herein are DIGIMARC
ENABLED, are the property of